Summertime is coming and many people have already started putting their grills to good use. Many people like the flavor of food cooked on a charcoal grill but do not like using lighter fluid because of the chemicals and the taste it can leave on the food. Here is a simple way to light a charcoal grill without using lighter fluid, starter bricks, or a charcoal chimney.
1) Spread out the briquettes at the bottom of the grill. You can use lump charcoal as well, that is wood chips.
2) Take any kind of household cooking oil and either paper towels, newspaper, or maybe the pages from an old telephone book. Place the piece of paper on a flat surface. Pour a small amount of cooking oil into the center of the paper.
3) Spread the oil with your hands all over the paper. Repeat this process three times.
4) Crumple up the three pieces of oil soaked paper and place them in the middle of your grill.
5) Using the briquettes or wood chips, begin creating a volcano or pyramid around the crumpled pieces of paper. Make sure to leave some space between the pieces of charcoal so that there is room to light the paper and for air to get in.
6) Using a long match or lighter stick, or even a thin candle, light the paper. You may want to light the paper in a few places so that it catches quickly.
7) Begin preparing your food for the grill! The briquettes should be fully lit in 15-20 minutes.
This is an easy and chemical free way of lighting a charcoal grill that requires no additional special equipment and very little time. The charcoal lights just as quickly as using lighter fluid, without the smell and taste.